The other week, my counterpart asked me to think of ideas for ways to teach telling time. I did a Google search and found this fun activity using paper watches.
Markers and paper
A copier (if you don’t have access to a copier, you could have students draw their own watches)
- Draw a watch (without a time) on a piece of paper and copy it.
- Give a watch to each student.
- Have students cut out their watch and draw a minute and hour hand for whatever time they choose.
- Tape the watch to the students’ wrists.
- Have the students take their notebook and walk around the room, asking their classmates, “What time is it?” In their notebook, they should record each person’s name and what time he/she says it is.
- (Optional) Ask for student volunteers to read their list of names and times aloud.
Our students had a blast with this activity! It was easy to prep and a lot of fun. 🙂
You can see my other classroom ideas here: